Thursday, December 3, 2009

Lobdell


Over the past three months I was a student in Professor Lobdell’s class on Politics, Religion and Media. It is an undergraduate course that is designed to investigate the intersection of religion, politics and the media and the influences they have on each other. Lobdell takes a variety of current events that display politicians or public policy being influenced through means of religion. As a born and raised Catholic, I knew this class would be a great test for my faith as well as an experience to learn more both sides of the political spectrum. The class covered the history of religion and media in the United States. It was very interesting to learn that some of our founding fathers were not as religious as one might think. We then discussed the Catholic Church and had a guest speaker who spoke of her life after being molested by a priest. Her speech was quite unpleasant to sit through as she compared the church to “Nazis” and expressed her distaste in the church. As a Catholic, I am saddened to hear her story but I still have not lost faith or trust in my Church because others have sinned. We are taught to hate the sin and not sinner, and most importantly forgive. Our class also covered the Muslims religion and the radicals that have acted violently. The violent Muslim acts have helped emphasize my understanding of how dangerous and serious the culture is. This class was an overall great experience and I hope to take more classes with Professor Lobdell in the future.


No comments:

Post a Comment